By Makenna Pratt
We’ve all heard of the five senses sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch. But did you know that there are actually seven senses!?!?
Gill Connell, a child development expert and co-author of A Moving Child is a Learning Child, explains that the last two senses vestibular (sense of balance) and proprioception (our intuitive sense of space and position) may feel automatic to adults, but are NOT automatic to kids.
“ LIKE THE OTHER FIVE SENSES, KIDS NEED TO LEARN WHAT THESE SENSES ARE TRYING TO TELL THEM THROUGH THE TRIAL-AND-ERROR PROCESS OF EVERYDAY LIVING, PLAYING, AND MOVING.”
GILL CONNELL | MOVING SMART BLOG
Now let’s imagine a place where your little one can explore his or her ability to crawl, climb, jump, hop, roll, balance, flip, and swing in a safe, colorful, padded, and fun environment, all the while using his/her senses to develop coordination and confidence. Here in lies the magic of gymnastics! Need more reasons to sign your child up for toddler gymnastics? Here are a few . . .
GYM GAB’S FAVORITE BENEFITS OF TODDLER GYMNASTICS
1. Vestibular Development – sense of balance
2. Proprioception – understanding space and position
3. Social Skills – taking turns, sharing, peer interaction
4. Classroom Skills – listening, following directions, staying with class
5. Active Play – establishing exercise is fun
6. Confidence – learning new skills, encouragement
7. Courage – overcoming fears, trying hard things
8. Strength – use/development of muscles
9. Flexibility – stretching
10. Foundation – preparation for future activities
Still not convinced that gymnastics is a great activity for little ones? Contact your local gymnastics center for a free trial class.
RELATED: WHY, WHEN, AND HOW’S OF GYMNASTICS.
Originally posted on Gym Gab blog.